John & Louisa McIntyre

Church%20windows%20-%2010%20Mar%202010%2

Click on the window to see more details

This window on the west wall of the north transept commemorates the lives and legacy of John McIntyre and his wife Louisa.  Like the Helen Muir Rankine Window it is out of sight for most of the congregation on a Sunday morning.

The window portrays the boy Jesus with the elders of the Temple. The top panel shows Mary and Joseph looking between the pillars having discovered Jesus in His father's house. Installed in 1955, the window is the work of Douglas Hamilton a Glasgow stained glass artist who attended the dedication service conducted here by the Right Reverend Dr Ernest Jarvis, Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.

Please feel free to use photographs for non-commercial use but credit Alloway Parish Church as the source.

For commercial use please contact the webmaster.

John McIntyre was born in July 1861 in Govan, Glasgow. He served as an apprentice draughtsman and, when depression struck, moved to Canada where he distinguished himself in the fields of ship design, construction, repair and power generation. Indeed, many of his innovative ship designs are still on display in the Maritime Museum in Kingston, Ontario.

On return to Scotland, he applied his expertise across numerous shipyards in Glasgow and Alloa and, after a successful spell as the general manager of the Ailsa Ship Yard in Troon, moved the Mackie & Thompson operation from Govan, Glasgow to Irvine in Ayrshire. There, he brought in a steady stream of orders that led to the Irvine yard achieving the highest ever annual launch rate of ships of any yard in Scotland.

In 1886, he married Louisa Fowler, a highly educated lady to whom John attributed all his strength and success. He served as an Ayr Burgh Councillor and Dean of Guild, a Director of Ayr Hospital and a Freeman of the City of London and regularly worshipped at Alloway Parish Church.

The window portrays the boy Jesus with the elders of the Temple. The top panel shows Mary and Joseph looking between the pillars having discovered Jesus in His father's house. Installed in 1955, the window is the work of Douglas Hamilton a Glasgow stained glass artist who attended the dedication service conducted here by the Right Reverend Dr Ernest Jarvis, Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.

 

(Research: D P Thow)

ALLOWAY
PARISH
CHURCH

+44 1292 442 083

secretary.allowaypc@gmail.com

 

40 Alloway

AYR​

KA7 4PQ

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Blogger Social Icon

Alloway Parish Church of Scotland, Alloway, KA7 4PQ, No. 100538

Scotttish Registered Charity No. SC012456