William Smith Dixon Window
To see more detail of the window please click on on of the three panels of the window.
Please feel free to use photographs for non-commercial purposes but credit Alloway Parish Church. For commercial purposes please contact the webmaster.
The window is dedicated to William Smith Dixon who lived at Belleisle and was the owner of Dixon Ironworks in Govanhill that created “Dixon’s Blazes” as the forges lit up the evening sky
with a red glow. It was gifted to the Church by his widow and dedicated in 1881.
The window was designed and installed by W & JJ Kier of Glasgow who had previously installed the Charlotte Lockhart Baird window.
The windows are quite different in nature, showing a progression from the geometrically precise patterns of the earlier windows to the pictorial representation seen here.