The Brig o’Doon  House Hotel, overlooked by the monument, stands on the corner of the B7024 and Mill Brae which goes down to the Auld Brig o’Doon and beyond, was originally opened in 1827 to provide accommodation and refreshments for visitors to the monument, but a few years ago was considerably remodeled and is now a favourite dining and wedding venue.

When the new road bridge of Doon was built in 1816 plans to demolish the old brig were abandoned because of its connection with Burns’ poem. A centrepiece of the bridges defence was a spirited poem written by the Rev Hamilton Paul who was a minister without charge and a journalist. (Remember it was he too who wrote the verses he recited at that very first Burns Supper which was held in Burns’ Cottage on 21st July 1801).

ALLOWAY
PARISH
CHURCH

+44 1292 442 083

secretary.allowaypc@gmail.com

 

40 Alloway

AYR​

KA7 4PQ

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Blogger Social Icon

Alloway Parish Church of Scotland, Alloway, KA7 4PQ, No. 100538

Scotttish Registered Charity No. SC012456